Blog

LUNCH DATE @ UTAMU RESTAURANT – TUNE HOTELS

By September 26, 2017 33 Comments

Utamu is a casual dining restaurant based at the relatively new Tune Hotels  in Westlands.

Despite the fact that they just recently opened in Kenya, they have a chain of over 45 hotels all over the world – these guys must be good at what they do and are highly rated as one of the best budget hotels in Kenya and especially in terms of accommodation.

LOCATION

Utamu Restaurant at Tune Hotels is on Rhapta Road (Westlands) which is easily accessible even via a matatu – simply alight at Delta Towers (Westlands) and walk towards Tune Hotels which will probably take you less than 10 minutes or you can Uber your way there.

If I was to live on a busy street in Nairobi, Rhapta Road would be it – it is simply a foodie’s haven. The number of amazing Hotels and Restaurants on that road excites me – Tune Hotels, Anghiti Indian Restaurant, The Vineyard, The Royal Orchid- Azure – Eish – And many more!

AMBIANCE
George Michael once sang “If you are gonna do it, do it right” – and these guys did it right. The decor at Tune Hotels is simply amazing. Pure elegance! The lighting fixtures, wall hangings, elegant furniture – their design team was clearly taking no chances.

Over at Utamu Restaurant, the decor was even more amazing. There is a Grab n Go Coffee Shop at the entrance whose decor is done so tastefully and with subtle colour combinations. The Restaurant itself has an indoor seating area and two outdoor terraces with patio heaters for those cold Nairobi nights – total capacity of 164 diners at a go.

DINING EXPERIENCE
Utamu is a Swahili name meaning “Delicious or Sweetness” and trust you me – these guys live up to that. Since we were four on this particular day, we redeemed two of our “Buy One Main Course, Get One Free Main Course of equal or lesser value” DisCoucher coupons meaning that we would only pay for two meals – Good Food, Good Life – on a budget – and this why DisCoucher is Bae!

They offer quite a vast selection of continental cuisines – you would be lost for choice. Am surrounded by Meat Lovers and this was a sort of reunion – Meat, Meat and More Meat!

The food was sumptuous to say the least and the portions were generous. And the service even better. However, the meat was a bit too fatty – I didn’t mind it {Don’t Judge ๐Ÿ˜‰ } but some of my friends did but since it was a few days to the general elections, I figured that most hotels were trying to clear up their stock which is something I had experienced in other restaurants that same week and can’t blame them for that.

As for the damages, the prices were quite reasonable with main courses ranging from Ksh. 850 to Ksh.1350 which isn’t bad at all considering the Location, Ambiance, Portion, Great Service – totally worth every penny if you ask me.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Perfect location, great ambiance, delectable food, amazing service – total value for money spent. I really loved my experience at Utamu – you know what they say about first impressions – this one will last. I still have some Tune Hotels DisCoucher coupons – Kilele Rooftop Lounge this time – so can’t wait to be back before the end of the year.

Have you been to Utamu Restaurant? What was your experience? Would love to hear about it!

Thank you for an amazing experience Utamu Restaurant.

Love,

Sal

Disclaimer: The views, information and opinions expressed in this Blog are solely my own and I retain 100% editorial control!

sallyskitchen

Author sallyskitchen

More posts by sallyskitchen

Join the discussion 33 Comments

• I got this site from my pal who informed me on the topic of this
    site and now this time I am browsing this website and reading very informative posts at
    this place.

• Encouraging Employees to Create New Games – Always make an effort to activate the employees to create their own versions of gaming.
    When you are in school, you almost certainly remember watching countless documentaries, slide
    shows and lectures which could have put you to fall asleep instantly.
    This is fun and you move just like a hologram having a difference
    – you’ve got your physical body kicking a low profile soccer ball and you also make a goal.

• whoah this blog is great i love studying your posts. Keep up the great work!

You recognize, a lot of persons are looking round for this information, you can help
    them greatly.

• Hey great website! Does running a blog similar to this require a lot of work?
    I’ve virtually no understanding of programming but I was hoping to
    start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, should you
    have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject however I just had to ask.
    Many thanks!

• zoopHilia says:

Good answer back in return of this matter with genuine arguments and telling the whole thing on the
    topic of that.

• buy from Taobao in english says:

I get asked a lot to recommend forwarding services and TaoBao agents.
    I’ve been a little reluctant to endorse anyone but for what
    it’s worth @TiptransCom has been forwarding my packages from
    Hong Kong and doing a great job.

• black dicK says:

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a colleague who has been doing a little
    homework on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch because I found
    it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
    Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time
    to discuss this subject here on your web page.

• Mandiri99 says:

Hello to every one, the contents present at this website are
    actually amazing for people experience, well,
    keep up the nice work fellows.

• online sports betting says:

Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my
    iphone and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she
    has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

• les bahasa says:

I was recommended this blog via my cousin. I am no longer certain whether
    this publish is written through him as nobody else
    realize such detailed about my trouble. You’re incredible!
    Thank you!

• Darrell says:

I love when he comes to the print shop and
    asks if itโ€™s built on a fault line of magical whatever

• Buy Testo Prime says:

I got what you mean, regards for putting up.
    Woh I am happy to find this website through google.

• BUy Dura Vital Keto Blend says:

I’ve recently started a site, the info you provide on this website has helped me greatly.
    Thank you for all of your time & work.

• tmall genie app says:

Winston Water Cooler combines the convenience of online shopping with the knowledge of experienced staff.
    Interested in learning more? Find the store nearest you and stop by today!
    Or visit us online at ! plumbingsupply

• ุดุญู† ู…ู† ู…ุตุฑ says:

Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed!
    Very helpful info specially the closing phase ๐Ÿ™‚ I take care of such
    info much. I was seeking this particular info for a
    very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

• Maurine says:

Why taobao referred to as China ebay? Though China/Asia Pacific area gross sales are expected to be flat to barely down in 2016 as in comparison with the prior yr,
    China is still expected by Starbucks to continue to move in direction of being one in every of our largest worldwide markets.
    The sellers who do well can have sales going into
    the tens of 1000’s simply every month, so they have the incentive to attend to
    your requests and questions, and ensure your gadgets reach you in satisfactory situation. Does it
    matter. Who on the streets will go validate your sneakers anyway?
    Who’s Tom Lemming within the Blind Side? Tom Lemming plays himself.

So all it’s a must to ask your self is – “is a lemming a plant?” and
    you’ve got your reply. A lemming is a rodent 2.8 to 5.9 inches
    long, so lemming is a probable answer. What’s a small white rodent with black eyes
    about 3 inches long and .Seventy five inches in diameter?
    Yes, it’s a kind of rodent.

• berita bola liga inggris transfer pemain says:

LUNCH DATE @ UTAMU RESTAURANT – TUNE HOTELS – Sally's Kitchen

• going here says:

So, we have actually finally closed the book on 2010.
    Now, as we shift into the brand-new year, this is when the majority of people show back on the year before.

In the movie world, this is likewise when critics and motion picture enthusiasts
    make the effort to review the past year. Not to mention, this is
    awards season. With the Critics’ Choice Awards
    in just a couple of weeks and the Oscars less than two months earlier,
    are enough to say the red carpet is formally out.

Today, I’m going to throw myself into that really ring as we bring
    you Lazy-bones Club’s 2010 Movie Awards. Up front, however, I want to proceed and state, I’m going to do this
    various than those huge award shows. For one, you’ll see a few of the typical categories,
    however likewise there will be some off-beat ones. Also, call
    me crazy, but I think the greatest factor in judging a movie is its home entertainment
    worth. Granted all of the other little elements of making a film aid
    to make a movie much better, however I think home entertainment is successful a
    film’s technical prowess in order to specify whether it is great or not.
    So, you won’t be seeing me awarding these “artistic” movies
    just because of their “cinematic achievement” (whatever the hell that is).
    Rather, I’ll be evaluating on excellent ole home entertainment value (with acting, story, etc.

playing aspects).

So, without additional ado, here are the winners of the very first yearly Couch
    Potato Club Movie Awards.

Best Movie: Inception

For me this came down to Creation and Black Swan. I have actually truthfully spent days mulling it over in my head which would be my motion picture of the year.
    Nevertheless, in the end, Beginning triumphes. Inceptionwas also best in a sense.
    With smart writing, good performing, enjoyable action, great
    cinematography and so on and so on, the movie proved to be amazing design with great substance.
    Nolan proved once again here why he is one of (if not THE) most
    searched for filmmakers today. A narrative genius. After watching this film, it made me recognize what a god-send Nolan is to Hollywood really.
    Everyone in Hollywood must be taking notes. This is precisely how a smash hit film ought to be
    done. Let’s not kid ourselves, smash hit action movies will continue to be
    the support of Hollywood for some time to come.
    While this is alright, the problem usually depends on that they’re so shallow and
    cliche and just “eh”. They usually just rely on cool action series and
    remarkable looking special results. Not Inception,
    though. This movie provides all that, but then really brings substance to
    that style offering us an interesting and mind-bending/intelligent story to
    opt for it. This ideal mix makes Beginning
    my movie of the year.

Best Actor: James Franco – 127 Hours

I’ve said it before and I’ll state it again: you wish to
    check the benefit of a star? Throw him in a film where he is pretty much the only one ever on-screen and
    he needs to carry the entire motion picture himself. Where the entire weight of the entire motion picture rests most assuredly on his shoulders.
    Will he shine? Will he collapse? This is the test.
    Others have actually proven themselves in the same way (Will Smith,
    Tom Hanks). And truly I think this (and the “retard role”) is among the most significant methods to evaluate an actor and see if he is among the greats.
    So, go into James Franco and 127 Hours. Playing a mountain climber
    that gets trapped under a stone and is all alone, Franco is left to bring an entire movie on his
    own. Does he prosper? Damn right he does. With flying colors at
    that. Keeping it fascinating, conveying a series of feelings throughout the film and sucking you in all on his own,
    Franco clearly shows he had the nerve to deal with such a challenging task and triumph.
    Because of that, he’s my actor of the year.

Finest Actress: Natalie Portman – Black Swan

Natalie’s performance in the Aronofsky mental thriller is absolutely
    brilliant. Her best work to-date in my opinion. Playing a role that
    requires her to ultimately shift from sweet little naive princess woman to girl-gone-wild (in a dark
    side kinda way), she hits every beat without missing an action.
    I think the greatest factor for a good actor/actress is variety.

Anyone can shine in a part that was just made for them
    (in line with their natural persona), however range and playing various personas/characters
    is where an actor/actress can reveal their real prowess.

In Black Swanalone, Natalie Portman has actually shown, in simply the 2
    hours, that she has more range than the majority of actresses around.
    She showed more variety in one performance than most carry out
    in their entire career. For such a dazzling
    performance Natalie Portman gets my vote as starlet of the year.
    I don’t think this is even up for dispute.

Finest Supporting Actor: Christian Bale – The Fighter

Here’s another that I feel is simply a given and isn’t up for dispute.
    Bale absolutely took the show in every scene he appeared in The Fighter The weight
    loss alone reveals Bale’s dedication to his craft.
    Moreover, the way he was able to lose himself in that
    crackhead persona and into the role of Dicky Eklund simply further proved
    what an incredible actor Bale is. To actually
    reveal you how fantastic his performance was, the video clip of real-life Dicky throughout the credits
    showed you just how well Bale nailed that efficiency.

It had to almost resemble looking in a mirror for Dicky.

Finest Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo – The Fighter.

Yes, the supporting cast of The Fighter was just fantastic.
    They’re the ones that kept this movie afloat. Leo’s turn as
    the “white trash” overbearing mom was terrific
    and was another (together with Bale’s performance) that
    really assisted this movie shine. Without these 2, The Fighter bombs.

Best Director: Darren Aronofsky – Black Swan

Like I said, best film was down to Black Swan and Creation for me.
    Aronofsky’s work here was damn near best. This was a brilliantly directed movie.
    From the camera shots to the music to the story-telling to what he left his cast, Aronofsky did a fantastic job in conveying this thriller story extremely aptly on all levels.
    As one of my preferred contemporary directors, it’s no surprise that Aronofsky continues to impress every
    year.

Best Screenplay: Mark Heyman, Andres Heinz and John McLaughlin –
    Black Swan

For me, screenplay/story is probably the biggest factor in figuring out whether a motion picture is
    amusing. Afterall, without an interesting and amusing story, then your movie is simply going to draw.

That being said, it’s not a surprise that this, for me,
    boiled down to Black Swan and Inceptionagain; the two films vying for my Finest Film award.
    Nevertheless, in the end I need to go with Black
    Swan edging out in this category. The story was excellent in my
    viewpoint. Very awesome and intriguing story that left you
    on your seat the whole while through. To top it off,
    though, was all the subtext present throughout the
    movie. From the “life mimics art” to the “greed can consume all of us”
    to the commentary of how much pressure can be placed on an entertainer and the threats they ensue when losing themselves in an efficiency in order to be “best”.

This script had it all and fired on so many cylinders.
    Truly was a fantastic story and I loved how the main character’s life started to
    mirror the very character she was trying to use stage.

Best Ensemble Cast: The Fighter

I think after the previous supporting awards, this must come
    as no surprise. Nevertheless, I will state I was likewise seriously thinking about The Town for
    this award which had a great all-around efficiency from its entire cast.
    Nevertheless, the cast of The Fighter carried out well in all locations.
    Even Mark Wahlberg was decent adequate (and I don’t
    especially take care of him). Though, he was the weak spot and his real character was
    boring. However, everybody else kipped down fine performances that, as a
    whole, really pulled you into the family in the film. Then the performances
    of Bale and Leo truly just pushed the overall ensemble over the top.
    On The Other Hand, Amy Adams provided a very good performance
    too standing apart.

Breakout Performance of the Year: Jennifer Lawrence – Winter season’s Bone

The motion picture itself, I discovered was relatively overrated.

However, Jennifer Lawrence in Winter’s Bone did an absolutely wonderful job
    of playing the role of Ree Dolly. If not for her,
    the entire film would have been a wash. However, her performance was very nice to enjoy.

It made it even more rewarding as I got to witness that this
    girl is in fact an extremely skilled actress. Before this, I had actually only seen her in ‘The Bill Engvall Show’
    where she plays the common cliche ditzy teenage girl. Which, honestly, there are a million and one ladies in the country that might pull
    that off. Enjoying her go from that ditzy teenager to this gritty and convincing performance was absolutely a reward for me and showed me
    her worth. For that, she receives my Breakout Performance
    of the Year award.

Best Action Movie: Inception

Inception wins here. Naturally being my Best Film of the Year,
    it’s going to likewise win in its particular genre classification. The
    film fires on all cylinders for a practically nonstop joyride, specifically for the last half of
    the film. The last half particularly, with the gun battles and chases and
    fights, and so on show to be an adrenalin rush of action.
    Again, this is pretty much the Hollywood-action-blockbuster film perfected.

Finest Funny: Get Him to the Greek

Ok, here’s where some might disagree with me
    (if they haven’t already). However, it’s my belief that Finest Funny
    motion picture need to mainly be based upon which film was the funniest.
    Given, there were films I liked better total that fall under the funny classification (Scott Pilgrim),
    but on the laugh scale they didn’t touch Get Him to the Greek.
    Russell Brand is just amusing. And his part as the normal rock star was fantastic and hilarious.

Even “P Diddy” (who I dislike) had me cracking up throughout this movie.

For me, it actually was the funniest movie of the year.

Best Animated Movie: How to Train Your Dragon

Yep, I’m doing it. I’m kicking Pixar to the curb this year and letting someone else have Best Animated reward.
    Approved, I really enjoyed Toy Story 3, but for me How to
    Train Your Dragon was simply the better film and
    was more enjoyable. It was cute, funny, motivating in its own way and revitalizing.
    I truly enjoyed the movie. How to Train Your Dragon was among those that had heart and depth
    and was actually beautiful (both story-wise
    and animation). One that really appeals to both grownups and kids alike.

Finest Scary Movie: Paranormal Activity 2

I loved the very first one and the follow up proves no various.
    Paranormal Activity has actually been something of a rescuer for the scary category I
    think. And part 2 makes it a conserving grace for Hollywood as the franchise
    goes mainstream. With great pacing and ‘storytelling’, Paranormal Activity 2, like its predecessor, brings the art of stress and suspense back to a
    seemingly burrowed genre. It does a fantastic job of really getting into your imagination and letting it cut loose, in turn terrifying yourself.
    Really a refreshing film in the category, I can’t wait on part
    3 this fall.

Finest Thriller: The Town

Yes, I realize Black Swan is a thriller, and I definitely concur that it’s the better
    motion picture. Nevertheless, like the funny film,
    I feel the very best Thriller film must be judged pretty much solely on the “thrill” aspect.
    And while Black Swan did engulf me and keep in thrilled, The Town pulled that aspect off
    a bit better. Possibly due to the fact that the action of it accommodated that,
    I don’t know. Nevertheless, The Town simply had me really
    on the edge of my seat from start to finish basically. The action was good, the motion picture was so intense and
    the whole of it simply never let up once
    it took off running, that I could not help but be enthralled as I went on that adventure
    ride.

Finest Docudrama: The Social Network

Social Networking has actually been spreading like wildfire in the past years,
    so it comes as not a surprise that it would ultimately end up being the basis of a movie.

The Social media network isn’t just any film though. Turning
    into one of the most spoken about motion pictures of the year
    and making a genuine film to be motion picture of the year, the motion picture
    is an excellent all-around film that everybody ought to see.
    And it might be among the most substantial films of modern (that or
    its equivalent ‘Catfish’).

Best Indie Film: Buried

Another thriller that just keeps you enthralled throughout (yes it appears I have a thing
    for thriller type movies). With such a very little set and minimal story and cast,
    Buried simply appears like it’s set to dissatisfy.
    Regardless of all these risks though it handles to prosper and end up being a very awesome
    and captivating motion picture, with Reynolds bring it well.

Best Fight: Zero-Gravity Corridor Fight – Beginning

The visuals and unique effects was just one aspect of what made Inception so awesome for me.
    And this fight scene was among those that stuck out
    above the rest. Creative, cool to watch, action-packed, it really was
    simply a truly fun battle and quite awesome.

Tearjerker of the Year: Toy Story 3

Did I personally sob? No. However, Toy Story 3 I feel is the film of the year that will most likely
    make someone cry. Maybe it’s the connection after having grown up
    with the series. Maybe it’s simply the depth of emotion produced
    in some scenes that hit home for the majority of people in a real-life way.
    Whatever it is, Toy Story 3 is sure to get the water supply running for quite a few people.
    With scenes like the incinerator scene and Andy’s last time with the toys (particularly when he
    realizes Woody is in there and he ends up parting with the toy that began everything), Toy Story 3 definitely has
    its moments that genuinely tug on those heart-strings.

Best On-Screen Couple: Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams – Blue Valentine

Both of these stars are some of the much better young actors around today (Gosling
    being my choice for best actor under 30 even). They truly show their worth here in this
    film too. Giving terrific and powerful efficiencies the
    two shine on the screen together. The chemistry in between them is absolutely splendid and the genuine/real feeling they communicate over the course of the
    film provides for a good watch.

Finest Bad Guy: Gideon Graves (Jason Schwartzman) –
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Jason Schwartzman is simply unconventionally hilarious most
    each time I see him. His look in Scott Pilgrim was simply icing on the cake for a very
    good motion picture. Traditional Schwartzman supplied humor and intelligence to
    the role, standing apart as my favorite bad guy of a movie filled with bad guys.

Worst Movie of the Year: The Last Airbender

I’m not even going to say anything. Everyone understands it draws.
    Shyamalan again proves, that despite his last movie (The Occurring being
    terrible) that he can still outdo himself and
    make a remarkably even worse film than he ever has.
    The person is spiraling out of control directly down the drain.

The Majority Of Overrated Film of the Year: The
    Children Are All Right

I’m sorry. It wasn’t that good. The acting was decent.

Mark Ruffalo was basically the conserving grace
    of the motion picture. Aside from that the film was so pretentious and
    contrived and simply flat out boring. Not almost as good as people made it out to be (not even the efficiencies).
    Wasn’t amusing or humorous at all. And the movie definitely does not should have
    even being thought about as a Best Movie candidate.

A Lot Of Underrated Film of the Year: Kick-Ass

Sure, the film got good reviews, even did reasonably well in its opening weekend.
    However, I feel Kick-Ass was just underappreciated for the year.

Rather honestly, the movie, well … kicked ass. In fact, it might
    decrease as one of my Leading 10 or 15 preferred movies of
    the year. It’s one of the best comics adaptations I’ve seen in a long while.
    For me, it was even better than it’s competitorScott Pilgrim.
    A truly awesome and fun film that need to have been provided more credit.
    Extremely amusing and more people need to
    provide it a shot.

Finest TV Program (Drama): The Strolling Dead

Undoubtedly, my generally TELEVISION program viewing includes sitcoms/comedies.
    However, there are a couple of dramas I enjoy here and there.

This year’s The Walking Dead shown to be one of those new shows that
    drug me in and made me like it. Making me excited to see the next season, and dissatisfied
    I’ll have to wait so long.

Finest TV Program (Comedy): Modern Family

With a funny ensemble cast and uproarious writing, Modern Household has
    shown to be among my preferred new TV programs just recently.

And with ‘The Office’ being hit or miss anymore, Modern Familyis the one that consistently has me chuckling
    the most. Most notably, Eric Stonestreet as “Cam” constantly makes me
    laugh and truly takes the program practically whenever he
    appears. His performance is what puts this one over
    the edge for me. Though, Big Bang Theory and Jim Parsons performance do
    come in an extremely close second for me.

• Elke says:

Quality posts is the important to be a focus for the people to pay a quick visit the web page,
    that’s what this web page is providing.

• Antwan says:

People really purchase those books more frequently.

• buy here pay here cash flow says:

I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful handy.

• berita bola newcastle says:

LUNCH DATE @ UTAMU RESTAURANT – TUNE HOTELS – Sally's Kitchen http://dewapokerku.com

• Chanda says:

If there are specific places which offer discounts chances are they’ll will probably be idle
    to host the event. Yet, it is true that when you’ve got a good plan about which player is
    usually to win, place the an intelligent and safe bet.

By betting 2 to 3 percent on each wager, this disciplined approach keeps the bankroll intact and prolongs the enjoyment that betting on the favorite team increases the die-hard fan.

• garena free fire swindles mod apk says:

Hello, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain latest updates, so where can i
    do it please help.

• Theresa says:

It’s truly very difficult in this active life to listen news on TV, therefore I just use web for that purpose, and take the most up-to-date information.

• RealReelRecords.Com says:

People can each and every one make use of studying more about ourself and our health and well being.
    Selected activities and exertion levels can easily possess superb gain to us, and all of us ought to
    master more info about them. Your blog has given invaluable details that is useful
    to numerous cultures and individuals, and I just appreciate your posting your expertise in this way. http://www.hihuang.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=6169294&do=profile

• zoopHilia says:

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are speaking
    about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my website =).
    We will have a link alternate agreement between us

• best kratom prices says:

where can i buy empty tea bags kratom extracts aloha
    kratom

• Giornale on line con notizie di economia e politica dal mondo e dal web says:

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and
    personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

• melbourne observer says:

Wow! Finally I got a web site from where I can in fact get helpful facts concerning my study and
    knowledge. http://melbobserver.com.au/wp/

• internet marketing coaching says:

3. Knowledge Business Blueprint Evaluate.

• smellgood.se/ says:

I loved this post! i try too read your blog fairly often, and you’re constantly coming out
    with some great stuff. I embedded this on my fb, and my followers loved it.
    Keep up the very good work ๐Ÿ™‚